I Have Been Admitted, What’s Next?

International Students ONLY: The Office of Admissions will contact you regarding the I-20 process. 

Learn more about the steps involved in this process.

Step One: Submit Official Transcripts

ALL students must submit an official copy of the transcript(s) demonstrating proof of graduation to the University of Utah, Office of Admissions. Please do not send transcripts via email or fax. These will not be accepted as official.

Postal ServiceElectronic Submission
Official transcripts should be delivered in a closed envelope, sealed with adhesive, to the Graduate Admissions service window in the Student Services Building (SSB) or mailed to:

The University of Utah

Office of Admissions
201 South 1460 East, Rm 250 S.
Salt Lake City, UT 84112 USA

The University of Utah utilizes the electronic transcript services, listed below. Transcripts sent via these listed services are considered official.

- Credentials Solutions
- Parchment/Naviance
- National Student Clearinghouse
- eScrip-Safe

When using any of these services please send transcripts to: admisstranscripts@utah.edu. This is monitored daily by a representative in the Office of Admissions.

Step Two: Locate the Graduate Student Handbook for the Department of Civil and Environmental                          Engineering.

Begin readings about the policies, procedures and student responsibilities.


Step Three: Research course offerings for the upcoming semester: 

  • To be listed as full-time, graduate students must be enrolled in nine or more graduate credit hours.
  • Most often, graduate students pursuing a research-based degree will enroll in six credit hours of coursework, and three credit hours of research. This does differ from student to student, and your faculty advisor will be the best resource to help you identify what will best support your research.


Step Four: Document what courses you intend to take by filling out the Registration Approval                                  Document.


Step Five: Schedule an appointment with the graduate advisor to learn how to enroll in courses                              through the University of Utah registration system.



  • Change your university of Utah address. The default address for each student is Uxxxxxxx@umail.utah.edu . (Where Uxxxxxxx is the student university ID number.) You can customize your email address by following the steps linked here.
  • Access the University IT new student guide here.
  • Learn about housing options both on and off campus.
  • University of Utah Commuter Services (Getting to campus and parking on campus.)


Learn more about the subsidized student health insurance here. 

Access your United Healthcare ID card here.