ACCREDITATION BY THE ENGINEERING ACCREDITATION COMMISSION OF ABET (HTTP://WWW.ABET.ORG) ASSURES QUALITY
In the United States, accreditation is a non-governmental, peer-review process that assures the quality of the postsecondary education students receive. Educational institutions or programs volunteer to undergo this review periodically to determine if certain criteria are being met.
ENGINEERING ACCREDITATION COMMISSION OF ABET MISSION
ABET serves the public globally through the promotion and advancement of education in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology. ABET:
- Accredits educational programs.
- Promotes quality and innovation in education.
- Consults and assists in the development and advancement of education worldwide.
- Communicates and collaborates with its constituents and the public.
- Anticipates and prepares for the changing educational environment and the future needs of its constituents.
- Manages its operations and resources in an effective and fiscally responsible manner.
The Civil Engineering program has been accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. We are committed to ensuring our students receive a stellar education. This means that we undergo periodic review and accreditation to guarantee that we meet quality standards set by the civil engineering professional leaders. The result is that we provide lasting benefits to students, employers, the university, industry, and society as a whole. It also means that we:
- Have received international recognition for our quality programs;
- Promote “best practices” in education;
- Base our program on “learning outcomes” rather than “teaching outputs;”
- Increase and enhance employment opportunities for our students compared to non-accredited programs.
Being accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET is voluntary, but we choose to go through this rigorous process to provide the best education possible to our students. The benefits are countless, but a few of them include peer-review, recognition of our commitment to quality, and insights from professional reviewers of how to improve our program even further.
The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering Program Educational Objectives, Student Outcomes and enrollment data can be found at Objectives & Outcomes.
415 North Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
(410) 625-2238 (Fax)
The educational objectives of the program are that during the first few years after graduation:
- CVEEN graduates will be engaged in the practice of civil or environmental engineering, or related field, or will be pursuing advanced knowledge through post-graduate study and research.
- CVEEN graduates will be on the path towards licensure, when appropriate, and will be active in professional organizations, seeking opportunities for professional development and participating in the betterment of their profession.
- CVEEN graduates will be ascending into leadership roles and be advocating for the betterment of society utilizing their accumulated education and experience solving complex societal issues.
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.