Graduate School Admissions
Direct Admit Ph.D. Program
If a Ph.D. is your ultimate degree objective, we encourage exceptionally qualified B.S. students to apply to our direct admit Ph.D. option. The direct admit Ph.D. degree emphasizes scholarly research activities. This option increases your chances of being accepted, reduces your course requirements, and can accelerate your progress towards the Ph.D. degree. If you choose to apply for this option, but your record is not strong enough to merit direct admission into the Ph.D. program, you will automatically be considered for admission to the Master’s program.
- Undergraduate students with a 3.50/4.0 grade point average (GPA) and/or in the top 15% of their graduating class may be considered for direct admission into our Ph.D. program.
- GRE new format: Verbal = 150, Quantitative = 166, Analytical Writing = 3.5
- GRE old format: Verbal = 450, Quantitative = 700, Analytical Writing = 3.5
- Minimum of 30 credit hours of graded coursework and 14 credit hours of dissertation.
- Minimum 15 credit hours taken within CVEEN.
- M.S. degree granted after completion of at least 24 hours of coursework, 6 hours of research credit, and submission of one peer-reviewed first-author paper from journal approved by committee.
- A minimum of 2 peer-reviewed papers submitted prior to scheduling your Ph.D. defense.
- Review after 1st year for continuation on Direct Admit track.
Note: GRE scores must have been taken within the last 5 years to be accepted.
Application Deadline Calendar
|Semester||Domestic Application Deadline||International Application Deadline|
(Considered for Funding)
|January 1st||December 1st|
|March 1st||March 1st|
|Spring||October 1st||September 1st|
Online Graduate Application for the University of Utah
To apply for admission please complete the online application.
Important Contact Information
Questions regarding transcripts, application fees, TOEFL scores and I-20s Contact:
University of Utah Admissions Office or:
Official Transcripts must be sent to:
University of Utah
201 S 1460 E RM 250 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9057
Questions regarding the application process and deadlines:
Contact the Graduate program
Bonnie Ogden, Graduate Academic Advisor
Office: 2008 MCE
Phone Number: 801.581.6678